Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Art of Healing


Over the last four months, I have been humbled by a physiotherapy student who has touched my heart in every way. At the age of 11, Lhakpa woke up one morning and was unable to see. While the cause was unknown, the result was clear. He had become blind.

Physiotherapy is the means through which Lhakpa has chosen to live his life for the purpose of serving others. Today, through my observation of a patient examination session serving as a test to determine his continuation in the physiotherapy program, I came to see what truly forms the core of effective physiotherapy practice. Dedication and compassion for all human beings is at the root of healing.

I was told on my first day at JDWNR Hospital that I would be teaching a student who is blind. I was initially shocked, and in time became worrisome and even fearful. How would I guide a young man with a visual impairment to effectively become a physiotherapist? With observation of movement at the core of my practice, how could I modify my practice and expectations to meet his needs?

Over the last four months, Lhakpa and I have developed a special relationship. He has taught me that the sense of touch is powerful, and perhaps even more revealing than the sense of sight. Lhakpa has taught me that individuals who are visually impaired can effectively join the health care profession, taking their patients to levels above and beyond what the average practitioner might be able to do. Lhakpa has demonstrated the ability to develop a rapport with his patients, to establish assessments that link their health conditions to their desired roles in life, and to design effective treatment programs. While science is the foundation of physiotherapy, the ability to connect with patients and understand movement strategies through physical contact is the true conduit to healing. Lhakpa has taught me that the art of physiotherapy lies within the heart of the clinician.

I feel so blessed to have become connected with Lhakpa, and am grateful for the renewed sense of dedication and inspiration he has given to me. Upon completing (and passing!!!) his practical examination, Lhakpa left me with these words ...

Respected madam,
I am not feeling depressed eventhough as i being a disabled boy for having such a great and kindness teacher in my life....
"ONLY MADAM YOUR THE ONE" who realy concern about me to make me independent as of being disabled thank you madam and when i come across this words I can't tolerate shedding tears from my eyes.
I beg madam to keep on touch with me for ever and ever and guide me through this profession.
"WITH WARM REGARDS"
Lhakpa Dorji




1 comment:

  1. Detta, what an incredible blog entry! Lhakpa's dedication to the field--and yours--are both so inspirational. It's amazing what you've learned from one another and how you both help to make our world a better place. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete