Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Are you Married?" Part II

I come across many Bhutanese who pose personal questions to complete strangers and are very open about status of relationships. "Are you married?", "You're here all alone?" or my own personal favorite, "You're a spinster?!" are all common questions here in Bhutan.

A spiritual, hard working, muscular, outdoorsy man who is able to fix anything and everything describes a typical Bhutanese. Walks through the Himalayan hills set the stage for romantic evenings. Words were captivating ... "When you look at things with positive energy, everything is perfectly clear." What single girl wouldn't find herself mesmerized?! Was it too good to be true?

My wise American male colleague pointed out over a few Red Pandas one evening that some men may follow the examples their leaders have set. For instance, the 4th King of Bhutan is married to four sisters. While polygamy is no longer common, perhaps growing up under a ruler with four wives has influenced the thoughts and actions of many Bhutanese men. Could these be the ones I’ve been meeting?!

A middle aged dasho flirts with foreign girls out at the bars and his behavior becomes inappropriate ... he persistently calls and texts several times a day: Chances that he's married? Pretty high! A young man who claims to be single but later reveals his state of fatherhood with admitted frequent visits to his "sort of wife": Chances that he's doing more than visiting his child? I think so... A hot lawyer who is "not married" initially but later “in the process of divorce" and suddenly freaks out when realizing the foreign girl he's dating has local friends who are friends of his wife: Chances he's cheating on her? You tell me :)

Everyday I am surrounded by warm, caring male coworkers whom I have faith are devoted partners. My local girlfriends’ brothers, friends, and husbands are good guys with hearts of gold. This world is so small and karma works its ways. I know that there is a spiritual, hard working, muscular, outdoorsy man who is able to fix anything and everything (or something of the sort!!) meant to appear in my life one day. Dating in Thimphu has been fun, entertaining, and enlightening. And the biggest question of all, "Are you married?" It's my turn to ask!!

1 comment:

  1. this should SO be a magazine article! i loved the punchline at the end! :)

    ReplyDelete