Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Travelling through the Backroads of Bhutan



Oh, the lessons I've learned!

What to remember to pack the next time I depart Thimpu:
1) Slippers for the shower - Absolutely essential if there is a shower!
2) Sleeping bag - Hotels are not always available ... while alternative accomodations do exist, a sleeping bag would make those nights much more comfortable!
3) Hiking boots (even if not planning on going hiking) - "The loo situation" on a ten hour coaster ride from Thimpu to Gelephu requires that passengers explore the great outdoors. A lovely woman on the bus pointed me in a direction where I might find some privacy. Upon my first few steps down the mountain, I immediately found myself on my rear end sliding down into a pile of rocks! Bright red, I hoisted myself up and noticed the laughter at myself became a chorus, joined in by the chuckles of the women around me. Oh, as if I hadn't already stood out enough before falling down the mountain! Next time ... hiking boots for the journey in order to stay on my two feet!!

What I did well to prepare for my roadtrips through Bhutan:
1) Eyelash tinting! That $6 service on Kao San Road during my 16 hour layover in Bangkok was the best thing ever. For a girl who doesn't like to leave the house without a full face of makeup, "permanent" mascara is helping this girl become more and more outdoorsy.
2) Packing only one kira - Why wear a different kira everyday? Gotta travel lightly unless you want to store your bags on top of the bus!
3) Sense of humor - wouldn't survive without it!!! Travelling through the backroads of the Himalayas is the most surreal experience ever ... despite the challenges an American girl might face, this girl's gonna keep at it!

4 comments:

  1. Good lessons! I've been wondering about eyelash tinting for awhile now... And glad you can keep your sense of humor! Now that's something that doesn't take up any space. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernadette,
    I love that positive, glowing attitude! Thanks for the tip on hiking boots. I think I will wear mine over. And, of course, a trip to the eyelash place is a MUST!
    Betti

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ... space was definitely an issue! yep, the tinting was great :) that was my first time doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe...this made me smile, i didn't expect eyelash tinting to be on the list :)

    ReplyDelete