Tuesday, January 26, 2010

“Every thing and every being in the universe …



… depend on every other thing and every other being for their existence …” (Thich Nhat Hahn). Circumstances occur in life, which are associated with emotions of excitement, hope, fear, confusion, loneliness, and appreciation. The central theme of my time thus far in Bhutan appears to be related to this lesson derived from the Avatamsaka Sutra that Thich Nhat Hahn, Buddhist monk, encourages his readers to ponder. Openings are being created, allowing me to become more aware of the interdependence among many.

I have come to accept that it is okay to admit to myself and others that sometimes I probably shouldn't be alone, and I need the assistance or company of other people. While grateful that I am independent and happy, two qualities I believe to have been essential in my taking a leap of faith to come and live in Bhutan, I also know that the Universe brings people together for all of the right reasons. Although I like to cook a healthy dinner at home, I like even more to share in meal preparation and enjoyment with a fellow volunteer. While I enjoy having a spacious and well-equipped apartment to myself, I am so touched when my coworkers come by to keep me company. Every weekend I look forward to sitting by the river and writing in my journal, but I am even happier to respond to my students' invitation to hike up to the Takin Zoo together! I am beginning to believe that the Universe has brought events and people into my life to teach me, that just as within the Avatamsaka Sutra, interdependency of all phenomena and progression to enlightenment overlap...

(Top picture: Drukpa, Kinga & Sonam leading the way to the Takin Zoo; Bottom picture: I am petting a deer at the zoo)

1 comment: