Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tashi Delek



I did not know what would lie ahead of me in Bhutan, but I did know that my decision was made with certainty. While I looked forward to sharing my knowledge as a physical therapist instructor in a developing country, I was especially intrigued by the mystery surrounding Bhutan. The prospect of living in a Buddhist kingdom at the foothills of the Himalayas was surreal. With intuition as my guide, I turned this prospect into my reality.

I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend time in this serene land with its gentle people. More than anything, I am so grateful for my life to have intertwined with the that of eight very special individuals ... while I taught them the scientific basis of evaluating and treating patients, they taught me that love is the foundation of healing. I helped them discover ways to study more effectively; they helped me discover ways to trek across mountains. I shared with them stories of my family and friends in America; they shared with me stories of their walks from the roadpoint to their villages. Many of my most treasured moments in Bhutan are those I enjoyed with my physiotherapy students ... Drukpa, Kinga, Sonam, Tshering, Lhakpa, Needup, Kuenzang, and Kinzang. They brought a smile to my face every morning, and a light upon my soul that will continuously shine.

Living in a remote country halfway across the world came with challenges, but being outside of the box is where the most growth can occur. In addition to my students finding a permanent place in my heart, the relationships I developed with hospital volunteers, co-workers, and locals blossomed into beautiful friendships, some of which I know will be lifelong. Walking through the Himalayan Hills deepened my appreciation of nature. Spinning prayer wheels at dawn gave me inspiration to continue on my path of spiritual study with greater dedication. What might life be like, if guided by the soul rather than the ego?

The dynamics of life are powerful, and again it is time for me to transition. Two new volunteers have arrived here in Bhutan. Their levels of enthusiasm are contagious and they have the biggest of hearts ... I know it is now their turn to serve as this country's physiotherapy mentors and experience the unique wonders of Bhutan. My journey will now take me to India to study at an ashram prior to beginning the next phase of my life in San Francisco. My time spent healing in the Himalayas was surreal. I hope to bring the magic of Bhutan with me wherever I go, and in whatever it is my heart leads me to do. Reflecting upon what the purpose was in coming to Bhutan as a volunteer physiotherapist instructor, I know there was not just one reason ... there were eight.

Thank you for sharing my life in Bhutan with me. Please email me at bernadeta@gmail.com if you would like to continue to follow the written tales of my travels to India and beyond. Tashi Delek (blessings and good luck).

Pictured above, from left:
My first year students - Drukpa (always with a clever smile on his face), Kinga (so gracious and humble), Sonam (so loving and graceful), and Tshering (so clever and hard working).
My second year students - Lhakpa (dedicated and compassionate), Needup (very smart and balanced), Kuenzang (so eager to learn and appreciative), and Kinzang (with such a sweet, gentle soul).

1 comment:

  1. hi Currier,

    You are great, it's nice to see your article 'A Volunteer's Account of her Time in Bhutan' in the Tashi Delek Magazine in the Sept-Oct 2010 in flight magazine.

    I love to go through your articles, you had better time in Bhutan.
    Keep on update your blog and long to see with new topics.
    Regards,

    ReplyDelete