Monday, March 8, 2010

The Hike to Tiger's Nest




Said to have flown in on the back of a tigress, Guru Rinpoche, the 2nd incarnation of Lord Buddha, meditated in a cave at the site of Taktsang Goemba to subdue a demon and attract goodness into the world. Today, individuals seeking spiritual enlightenment or a steep hike with spectacular views of the Paro Valley come to Taktsang Goemba, also known as the "Tiger's Nest". Hugh, Kathleen, and I were led the 950 meters up the trail by Sonam, our Bhutanese Guide. Along our ascent we passed women selling Buddhist relics displayed on blankets set out on the earth, prayer wheels spinning by the force of wind and waterfalls, and horses carrying supplies to the monks in residence. A wooden teahouse served as a peaceful respite halfway up the mountain, and with tourists from America and Malaysia we traded our impressions of our stays in Bhutan. Upon continuing up the mountain and reaching the 750m mark, as warned by individuals who had previously hiked to Taktsang, the trail transitioned from a reliable path into a series of windy, steep stairs along the edge of a cliff. Along the remainder of this stretch, I could only focus on placing one foot over the next until suddenly, with relief, I found myself in front of the magnificent monastery. Opened to foreigners only in 2005, I felt honored to enter the inner sanctuary. In front of the Buddha of Infinite Light, I engaged in the acts of prostration and consumption of holy water with local worshippers. Deep down I had the feeling that I had been here before...moments such as these, I know I was meant to come to Bhutan.

No comments:

Post a Comment