Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Celebrating the Losar


Celebrations of the Bhutanese New Year began with butter tea and sweet rice. The Buddhist altar was adorned with biscuits and candies in addition to the traditional butter lamps and incense. I felt so honored and grateful to be able to join my co-worker and her family as they rang in the New Year together. The twelve hour celebration marking the beginning of the Year of the Iron Male Tiger was centered around spending time with family, ensuring that offerings of food and drink were plentiful in order to stave off any hunger or thirst in the upcoming year. Sudja (butter tea) and sweet tea were alternately served throughout the day. Traditional Bhutanese dishes were enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at various family members' homes in town. Between meals, children played video games, teenagers went bowling in town, adults chatted, and the popular Bhutanese card game of "Marriage" was played. I joined the teenagers for bowling in the afternoon, and it's a good thing I broke 100, because later on I failed miserably at the game of Marriage with the adults!

The day gave me such an incredible opportunity to experience the celebrations of the Losar so intimately. There were moments during the day's gathering that a certain activity (such as the young children playing games with their aunties) or food (such as the biscuits that looked and tasted nearly identical to the Lithuanian ausukes my family prepares every Christmas Eve) made me so reminiscent of home. As time has gone on, I've become more and more aware that one of the most influential teachings I seem to be taking from the Bhutanese culture is the importance of family. I know that my time spent physically away from family and friends while in Bhutan is actually meant to strengthen my relationships upon my return to the States, and for this, I am so very grateful.

Happy New Year! Tashi Delek!

No comments:

Post a Comment