Thursday, January 14, 2010

I'm really living in the Himalayas ...


Waiting on the front steps of the hospital to attend Doctor's yoga class, I found myself feeling content for several minutes just sitting. For the first time since my arrival to Bhutan, I think the reality of my being in the Himalayas truly came to be. Every day I am surrounded by a 360 degree view of tree-topped mountains. With each hill that I climb, I feel the altitude of Thimpu Valley, where the elevation is at 8000 feet. I am becoming more and more acclimated, and am getting into the best shape of my life walking between home, the hospital, and town. Because of this, I had slightly questioned the need to go to yoga, but knew the strengthening benefits both physically and mentally would serve me well (I may also have questioned going to yoga because I had no idea what time or exactly where class was being held ... thus resulting in the waiting period of sitting and photographing views from the hospital at dusk. As it turned out, sitting and practicing the breathing techniques from last night's meditation class flowed perfectly into the beginning of my yogic practice.)

I've begun to learn why "yoga classes" are fairly new in Bhutan, and have much more reading and learning to do from locals to achieve a deeper understanding. Historically, only well studied monks practiced yoga, as a high level spiritual development needed to occur before engaging in means of physical manifestation. New to Bhutan, is the act of practicing yoga postures prior to attaining higher spiritual evolution. This concept seems to be central to traditional Bhutanese Buddhism and related to the practice of Tibetan Yoga. Several foreigners (partnered with local Bhutanese per legalities of the Kingdom) are buliding studios and introducing yoga classes to laypeople. I know of just one class currently held in Thimpu, and that is taught by a physician from Germany who has been living here in Bhutan for 12 years now.

Once Doctor and the students assembled outside of the hospital building, we pounded and pounded on the hospital doors to notify Security that we were ready to enter the building for yoga. As pointed out by another student, it's a wonder that Security doesn't open the doors ahead of time given that this class has been going on every Wednesday evening at 5:30pm for seven years now ... Well, it is what it is, and on the third floor of the old hospital building, Doctor led the fastest pace yoga class I've ever attended in my life. The three girls in front of me couldn't seem to stop giggling. I couldn't help but find their laughter contagious, as my own practice was ridiculously off pace with Doctor and the experienced students around me. In addition to barely keeping up, I also couldn't help but think of how much I wished I had used the Western toilet on this floor of the hospital prior to class. Oh, why did I avoid using the restroom just because I thought there had been a major flood?! Little did I know that my notification about this flood to the maintenance department was absolutely useless (and probably provided a great laugh!) until being informed by a fellow HVO & yogi that the "flood" was perfectly normal in this restroom of her part the hospital, especially towards the end of the day ... and that's why she recommends hiking shoes be worn to work everyday!

Getting back on pace with class once it slowed down, I completed each pose Doctor led us through with transitions marked by his singing of "Om". Upon completion of Shavasana, I reflected on what I had learned from yoga this evening ... even though I can't yet keep up the pace with high speed vinyasa flow, I can somehow still do a backbend and a headstand! I need to develop a greater appreciation for the squat toilet in the physiotherapy department of the hospital, where there hasn't yet been a "flood" ... and wow ... I really am living and doing yoga in the Himalayas!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting on the yoga experience. It seems that in India yoga 'asanas' are one of the eight components of a yogic way of life that help lead to achieving a sense of spiritual union--but I'm not sure how widely or accessible yoga was/is in 'daily life' for the million and millions of people there. I wonder how the fast vinyasa flow classes entered the picture in Bhutan? Congrats that you can still do a backbend--that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete