Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Be Here Now


Seated cross legged atop a round cushion and dressed in three layers of thick warm clothing, my introduction to meditation in the Himalayas began. The Lama had recently returned to Bhutan from Taiwan, and his following was evident by the numbers of Bhutanese, Americans, and Europeans present for Tuesday Meditation Class. Arriving 15 minutes early for "beginner's instructions" I learned that proper alignment in the seated posture opens channels in the body, and "your job is not to try to let the hundreds of thousands of thoughts that enter your head leave your head, but to always just come back and stare at your spot ..."

The bell was rung, a prayer in Dzongkha was sung, and seated meditation began:

10 minutes of sitting ... 5 minutes of reading from Buddhist text
10 minutes of sitting ... 5 minutes of reading from Buddhist text
10 minutes of sitting ... 5 minutes of reading from Buddhist text
10 minutes of sitting ... 5 minutes of reading from Buddhist text

Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts ... So many thoughts! Keep staring at the spot ...
- What emotion hasn't gone through my heart and my head in these last six days?
- Was I experiencing the "honeymoon stage" of this trip? When will I receive a steady stream of running water again?
- Well at least I have occasional water ... and electricity hasn't gone out once!
- But if electricity does go out, the secret is to call the power company, tell them that I'm having a dinner party with a house full of guests, and complain that the rice hasn't finished cooking in the rice cooker yet! Electricity should be back on in half an hour :)
- What I am going to teach the students on their first day of class? And when will that be? I thought it was to be yesterday?! No one seems to know when the students are coming for class.
- I can't believe I'm going hiking everyday just to get to work or to town.
- Did we really talk about reincarnation over a couple of beers the other night?!
- The Bhutanese are the most attractive people I've ever laid eyes on.
- I am sitting in Bhutan. How have I come to be here? I am so happy.

The final bell was rung, and a prayer in Dzongkha was sung.

1 comment: